May you find simple pleasures throughout the new year!
Thursday, December 22, 2011
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Work has been crazy busy for the past few months. So I have been decorating the house whenever I can spare a few moments during the day or evening. Here's a peek of our country home, all decked out and waiting...
Friday, December 9, 2011
I love waking up to freshly fallen snow, especially the first snowfall of the season. Winters are long here in NE Ohio so I'm sure in the next few months, I will feel differently. But in the meantime, I'm going to take a few moments from my hectic work schedule to enjoy this winter wonderland!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Marigold Design would like to say "thank you" with this special gift that you can download and enjoy in your home or office. The letters spelling "Happy Thanksgiving" are ganged up, four-up on a sheet for easy printing. There are two color versions, one with brown and green [shown hanging] and the second one in gray and gold [shown below].
Print, cut on the dotted line and then use a hole-puncher in each corner for the ribbon—it's that simple! I printed mine on French Paper Speckletone and tied the letters with a off-white satin ribbon. Other than fresh flowers on the table and leaves on the mantle, this is the only other decoration I have for Thanksgiving. It does add a festive touch!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Monday, October 31, 2011
|Tombstones at a cemetery in Poland [via istockphoto]|
|candles in a Polish cemetery on All Saint's Day [via istockphoto]|
|a cemetery in Poland on All Saint's day [via istockphoto]|
Cemeteries still aren't my favorite places to visit but I no longer fear them as I did. And I might even visit them from time to time, looking for inspiration!
Happy Halloween and All Saint's Day!
Friday, October 21, 2011
Here are my interview pet peeves:
- Please give me the same courtesy that you would give to a large agency because my time is valuable too. If you are running late, please call. I know that unexpected things can happen that you have no control over, such as hitting a duck or raccoon on the road (I'm serious, I live in the country) but call me and let me know you will be late.
- When you do finally arrive, please don't tell me the reason you are late, especially if you overslept and it's 3:00 in the afternoon! This is not a good first impression!
- I don't expect you to wear a suit but do look presentable. That means no torn jeans, t-shirts or bare body parts showing. Yes, I do admit I wear flip flops in the summer but I always look presentable because I have clients and vendors visiting from time to time.
- And please don't come to any interview reeking of smoke or worse yet, strong cologne covering the smoke smell! I'm not a smoker and I honestly don't think I could work with someone that smelled of smoke or expose my clients to that. Sorry, but it's the truth!
- I'm asking questions because I want to find out how you solve problems, what you are passionate about and overall, how you work. So when I ask why you chose that font, color or the concept behind the design, please don't answer with "I don't know" because that doesn't tell me anything!
- Be proud of your work! The pieces in your portfolio should be your best pieces. If you aren't proud of them, how can I even like them. And how can I be sure that you would be proud of Marigold's work!
- Be curious and ask questions because that shows you are interested in working with Marigold or any other company to which you are applying at. You can ask me anything—well, almost anything!
These are my biggest pet peeves when interviewing. What are yours? Please share because I would love to know!
Thank you for your time!
Friday, October 14, 2011
I love walking, especially on an autumn day when the trees are bursting with color. Normally I walk first thing in the morning and early evening but I was having one of those days yesterday and had to get out of the studio to clear my head. So I grabbed my camera and headed outdoors to capture the beautiful hues in my yard and neighborhood. I was amazed how quickly the leaves were falling. It's times like these that I really miss my children because we will be raking those fallen leaves soon—by ourselves! Enjoy!
Thursday, September 29, 2011
I thought this would be the perfect time to give you a glimpse inside Marigold Design Studio, especially since I'm looking for a design assistant. This is where it all happens—good and bad ideas, sketches, marketing, designing, finalizing artwork, painting, tweeting, blogging, client meetings, etc., etc., etc.
The studio is based out of my home in Mantua, Ohio. It is a creative oasis, separate from the main part of the home where clients, vendors, family, friends and my cats love to visit. Filled with sunlight coming in from the skylights and surrounded by inspirational objects such as art, design books and color swatches, it is where creativity begins.
These past few months have been so busy with far too many late nights so I finally decided it was time to hire a part-time design assistant in here. I am looking for someone who shares my passion with design and color, who thinks "outside the box" and isn't afraid to take chances, is very detail-oriented, familiar with all the programs in Adobe CS and loves cats. Yes, cats, because this is a favorite hangout for Gracie and Max!Life at Marigold is never boring! You will be assisting me with projects such as redesigning websites, developing trade show graphics and signage, packaging designs, corporate identity, collateral materials, annual reports, catalogs, vehicle wraps, photo shoots [styling and art direction], social media, color marketing and Marigold's own marketing materials and website. If you would like to apply for the position, please email me your resume and a few samples of your work in a pdf format. Keep in mind that this is a part-time position, 20 hours a week with flexible hours. I will consider a senior-level college student with a stellar portfolio!
Thank you for visiting!